Mon. Dec 4th, 2023
How to get a job in China after graduation

Before any interview, familiarize yourself with the business culture in China. China’s business environment is highly distinctive from any other country’s. The face is a crucial component because it serves as a vehicle for conveying authority and deference. You must become familiar with the Chinese label in order to maximize your chances and prevent awkward misunderstandings.

  • Start your employment search with foreign businesses with presences in China.
  • Learn some Mandarin. If you’re unsure, enroll in a course. Gaining your colleagues’ trust and demonstrating your devotion to the culture and way of life through language proficiency.
  • Be on time. The face is important, as we well know, and first impressions count for a lot. Make sure you show up for the interview on schedule.
  • Pay attention to what your Chinese friends have to say. They will be able to talk to you about their own experiences, which will give you a unique insight on how to succeed when working in China.

How is China’s labor market doing?

Since China’s economy has never been stronger than it is right now, there are many job opportunities available. Since there is a lot of competition, it is wise to identify your unique selling proposition for your line of work. Numerous major multinational corporations, including HSBC, Microsoft, IBM, and Airbus, have offices in China and actively recruit staff with foreign experience. For overseas graduates like you, this is fantastic news!

What professions are in demand in China?

Along with the businesses already mentioned, consumer goods, telecommunications, textiles, mining, pharmaceuticals, and transportation are just a few of the rapidly expanding industries in China. In the fields of engineering, medical, informatics, environmental technology, industry, and tourism, there is a severe lack of qualified personnel.

After graduation, is employment possible in China?

International students may find it challenging to work in China, because it is prohibited for them to do so while they are enrolled in classes. They can apply for the Z visa, which needs a minimum of two years of work experience, after graduating. There are, however, certain exceptions, such as the teaching profession in China, which hires English teachers through 12 programs each month.

How can I obtain a Z visa (work visa) in China?

Detailed instructions on how to apply for a work visa (Z visa) in China are provided below:

(1) Passport

Original, signed passport with blank visa pages and at least six months of remaining validity, as well as a copy of the data page and, if there is one, the photo page.

(2) Visa Application Form (Form V.2013) and Photo

One completed Visa Application Form with a photo on glossy photo paper glued onto the form (your photo must meet the requirements).

(3) Proof of legal stay or residence status (applicable to non-U.S. citizens)

You must provide the original and photocopy of your valid certificates or visa of stay, residence, employment or student status, or other valid certificates of legal staying provided by the relevant authorities of the country where you are currently staying.

(4) Copy of a Chinese passport or Chinese visa from the past (applicable to foreign citizens who were Chinese citizens and have obtained foreign citizenship)

Your prior Chinese passport that you held along with a photocopy of its data page should be provided if you are applying for a Chinese visa for the first time.

If you have previously obtained Chinese visas and wish to apply for a Chinese visa using a newly issued foreign passport that does not already have any Chinese visas, you must present a photocopy of both the data page and, if separate, the photo page, from your prior passport, along with the previous Chinese visa page.

(You must present an official document of name change if your name on the current passport differs from your name on the prior one.)

(5) A copy of one of the following records:

  1. If your intended work period is 90 days or less, you must provide an Approval of Short-Term Employment for Foreigners Working in P.R. China, which is issued by the Chinese government’s Human Resources and Social Security authorities. You must apply for your visa before the date on the approval that indicates you can start working, and you can only work during the time period specified in the approval.
  2. The State Bureau of Foreign Experts issues permits for foreign experts to work in China.
  3. Chinese authorities of industrial and commercial administration have granted Registration Certificates of Resident Representative Offices of Enterprises of Foreign Countries (Regions).
  4. A certificate issued by the Chinese government’s cultural affairs bureau authorizing commercial performances; if your intended performance period is 90 days or less, you must submit an Approval of Short-Term Employment for Foreigners Working in P.R. China. You must apply for your visa before the performance’s start date, which is specified on the approval, and you may only perform during the window of time specified in the approval.
  5. China National Offshore Oil Corporation has issued a letter of invitation to foreigners for offshore petroleum operations in China.


(1) The applicant must attest that all the data they have submitted is accurate and true. Any erroneous, deceptive, or incomplete information could result in the visa being denied or in entrance into China being denied.

(2) The invitation letter may be sent through fax, photocopy, or printed from a computer. It can be necessary for a candidate to submit an original invitation, offer further proof, or arrange a consular officer interview.

(3) Depending on each application, a consular officer will decide whether or not to grant a visa as well as the permissible validity, length of stay, and number of entries.

(4) If the Duration of Each Stay on the visa is not specified as 30 days, the holder of a category Z visa must submit an application for a residence permit to the local public security authorities within 30 days of entering China.

China facilitates employment for foreign students:

International students now find it simpler to remain and find employment in China because to new rules governing employment of foreign graduates and holders of foreign degrees. This action is the most recent in China’s attempt to promote itself as a destination for higher education and draw talent to assist in the globalization of its workforce.

Foreign graduates with a master’s degree or higher from a Chinese university are now immediately qualified to apply for work visas within a year of their graduation, per new rules that were unveiled on January 6 by the Ministries of Human Resources and Social Security, Foreign Affairs, and Education.

The year after graduation, foreign graduates with a master’s degree or above from “overseas recognized universities” are eligible to apply for graduate positions in China. Prior regulations stipulated that students from outside China and those with foreign degrees must have a minimum of two years of work experience abroad. And this prerequisite made it impossible for foreign graduates to transition from education to employment.

390,000 foreign students studied in China in 2015, according to the Ministry of Education. The nation is taking steps to increase its participation in students from around the world, including an increase in the number of degrees taught in English at Chinese universities, which, according to MastersPortal, are now 327. These degrees include 143 degrees and 184 master programs, mostly in business administration and STEM, and are offered by 105 universities.

Foreign students need a job offer from a Chinese company that fits their degree, satisfies the needs of local talent, and offers a pay that is in line with market norms in order to apply for a one-year work visa. Must be at least 18 years old, achieve a B average (80% or more), and be completely law-abiding.